Thursday, August 14, 2008

About Me

Hai !

I'm Sundar (also known as Shyam). I hail from a small hamlet known as Sattanathapuram near Sirkazhi(3 Kms from Sirkazhi town bus stand) Nagapattinam district in Tamil Nadu - India. I'm married to Sudha and we have 2 daughters Apoorva and Aparna.

I love travel and history, strongly cherishing my roots.

We used to visit the ancestral house in Sattanatapuram often and the elders used to recall lot of interesting stories about our ancestors and extended clan. The clan is deeply related to Cadavasal (6 km from Sirkazhi), Madurai and Thanjavur. In our ancestral house, once i was looking into all the old vintage photographs and was aroused by a thought, who will remember the greatness of these people after a few generations? I started collecting details and renovating old photgraphs about our clan members. Special mention need to be made about Shri Cadavasal R Natarajan, (Papa mama) who aroused, inspired and supported me with lot of details about our forefathers.

The known founder of the Sattanatapuram family is Siva Subbarayan Iyer. Kindly see the family tree inside the blog. The Sattnathapuram family maintains 3 temples ( Shivan, Ayyanaar and Mariamman temples) with the active support of villagers and devotees from all over India and abroad.

This blog is a small attempt, to keep their memories alive, so that succeeding generations of the clan can identify themselves with their roots.

This would be a living document, wherein we all can cherish our roots and recall the greatness of our ancestors.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

In tracing my ancestry, I came across three women, all on the maternal branch -- (they are from Kaveripattinam) who are either married to or came Keezha Sattanadapuram (KSNP). Kokilam married to KSNP Sundara sastry (ca 1850),her grandmother was Lakshmi (Echchi patti) from KVP married someone from KSNP. and her grand-aunt Appukutti from KSNP married to Kaveripattinam Subramnia Sastry (Lakshmi's brother).

My only question: Were there Keezha and Mela Sattanadapuram that merged?

Sundaresan Jagadeesan said...

Hi,
For ur question "Were there Keezha and Mela Sattanadapuram that merged?"

There are no records to indicate that such a merger happened.The village Keezha Sattantahapurum still exists and is approximately 25 Kms from Sirkazhi. ( The place sattanatahpuram as mentioned in my Blog is not 'Mela' Sattantahapuram).

As per my knowledge 'Keezha' originally refers to 'Kizhakku' (or East), and then became a loose transliteration of 'Keezha'.

you can reach me @ sundar_jag@hotmail.com

Kaushik Gurunathan said...

Hi
I am Kaushik Gurunathan. My paternal family hails from Sattanathapuram too. Our kula deiyvam is the Ayyanar kovil in Sattanathapuram. My periappa name is CSK (Chattanathapuram Subramaniam Krishna) and my dad is CSG (Chattanathapuram Subramaniam Gurunathan). We used to visit the ayyanar kovil and do pooja right before any special event including my poonal and my sisters wedding. I googled Sattanathapuram and stumbed upon your blog.

Sundaresan Jagadeesan said...

Dear Kaushik,

This is interesting. The early migrants from the village used to refer Sattanathapuram as 'Chattanathapuram'. They used to replace the 'S' with 'C'. Many elders gradually carried the village name either C or S in their initials as well. We still have our contacts and roots in the village. My paternal uncle Shri S.S.Srinivasan Iyer is the honorary trustee of the Ayannar temple and other temples in the village. With the limited details provided by you, i'm unable to place your father and your paternal uncle. I would love to hear more from you.

my mail ID is sundar_jag@hotmail.com

Cheers/Sundaresan (shyam)

Unknown said...

Sattanathapuram sethuraman's wife Meena is my father's maternal ChithI. Interestingly you are touching upon Kurumberi people as well

Unknown said...

Sattanathapuram sethuraman's wife Meena is my father's maternal ChithI. Interestingly you are touching upon Kurumberi people as well

Shyam said...

Dear Madhu, thanks for an interesting connecting dot. How are you related in the Kurumberi family? Meena manni (thats how our Sattanathapuram elders refer her) had 2 sisters - Neelu from Mayavaram and Bhama and a brother who was a reputed auditor who practised in Muscat-Oman. Neelu athai son Krishnamoorthy is well connected to the SNP faily. How are you related to all the above known personalities ? my person email ID is sundar_jag@hotmail.com

C S Ramalingam said...

I am C.S. Ramalingam and my wife's name is Jayashree; I am at the EE Dept. of IITM. Coimbatore is the native place for the both of us. My mother C.S. Meenakshi is the daughter of Kamalam; Kamalam is the sister of Madhuram Gopalakrishnan. My maternal grandfather---Capt. Suryanarayana Sarma---belongs to the Appayya Dikshithar vamsam.

Station View said...

makes for fascinating reading...by members connected to #Chattanathapuram or #Sattanathapuram... Hope more comments are made.

Lakshminarayanan,

9444983700